COVID-19 CORONA VIRUS South African Resource Portal :

Recently added item(s)

Slide background


Crochet Terminology: US or UK

Crochet Terminology - US or UK - What Are The Differences..... 

Many crocheters do not realise that there exists 2 sets of terminology when it comes to crochet patterns.

Why it exists, I would not be able to tell you, but it does. If you are not a crocheter who reads / follows crochet patterns then you would not be affected by this.

Essentially, the 2 different sets of terminology has to do with the origin of the pattern or even, whichever one the designer chooses to use when the pattern is created.

The one set is US terminology and the other is UK.  The obvious difference occurs when a Double Crochet needs to be stitched. The term Single Crochet is used in US patterns. This term is never used in UK patterns. The way the stitch is formed is exactly the same: insert the hook, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops.

But you shouldn't get to excited just yet, because that one difference becomes more complicated. Here is where the confusion starts. In UK terms a treble is used but in US terms a treble is called a DOUBLE CROCHET! The formation of this stitch is: yarn over hook, insert hook, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through 2 loops.

If you are not aware of which terminology the pattern was written in, you could go horribly wrong because you could be creating a treble (UK) when you should be creating a double crochet / single crochet (UK/US).

A treble eventually does come into play in US terminology, but its UK equivalent is infact a DOUBLE TREBLE.

The other stitches affected by these differences are:

  • Half treble    (UK)  - Half Double Crochet (US)
  • Treble (UK) - Double Crochet (US)
  • Double Treble (UK) - Treble (US)
  • Triple Treble (UK) - Double Treble (US)

It has therefore become important to be aware of the origin of the pattern. The way to do this is to check what the origin is.

Where to Find The Difference

The easiest way to check for the origin of the terminology is to check in the instructions and see if the designer has stipulated it. Most modern patterns are now written in this way. However, vintage or older patterns, are not. It therefore becomes important to know your abbreviations, what they mean and how to create those stitches.

A sure sign that a pattern is written in US terminology is to look for the Single Crochet. As stated before, this term is never used in patterns of UK origin. Another possible term to check for is gauge vs tension. UK patterns will call for a tension swatch, whilst patterns of US origin will call for a gauge swatch.

Sometimes the designer will not only list abbreviations for the pattern, but also the method for how each stitch is formed. The inclusion of these instructions definitely go a long way to ensuring that you are creating the correct stitches for the desired pattern.


Happy Crocheting!

Stay Safe!


Remember to Follow Me On: